
Growing up, short sleeves in November was something only done by high school kids who were "too cool" to wear a jacket (and admit to such a weakness as goosebumps). Not so here in BC, but wherever you go, there is a weather trade-off. Currently it rains 5-6 days a week, which makes outfit photos a bit difficult. Even on clear days there is a perpetual dampness in the air - leaves are always soggy, never the crisp dry ones that blow in a mini cyclone over the sidewalk.
The bright side is that when the sun does come out, short sleeves can be worn without any pretense. It is pleasant and a bit surreal. To think that Christmas is only 7 weeks away and that I'm wearing this outfit makes me feel like Michigan diaspora more than anything else. (Sorry for the reminder about Christmas!)
This skirt has an airy, crepe-paper texture, so while there is several yards of fabric in the hem overall it is feather light. It was originally ankle length, but the bottom crepes were stretched out and frumpy, and being too attached to get rid of it I chose to hem above the knee.
Sewing is a difficult art to master but an easy one to learn. For anyone with fashion as a hobby, learning a few simple tailoring methods on your own can make a world of difference - in five years of owning this skirt I only wore it once before hemming; I've now worn it several times in just a few months.
If you do follow trends you know that 2014 is a time when mini, midi, and maxi lengths are all technically "in." The great news is you can visit a store and buy any of these styles today. The bad news? One length doesn't fit all. Within each category is several inches to alter and it only takes a single one to make or break it on you. Hemming is simply a matter of judging the length properly, the rest is easy if you know how to iron and sew a straight line.
What I'm Wearing
Blouse - Apt. 9
Skirt - Just Class
Bag - Aphorism
Belt - Kohl's
Shoes - Worthington
Jewelry - Thrifted







Oh, that is such a pretty skirt! I love the browns in the outfit; I need some brown tights now. And hemming can make such a big difference!
ReplyDeletexo
Kristina
www.eccentricowl.com
I've been on a mission to get as many different colored tights as possible. It seems to triple your wardrobe once you can wear everything in cool weather!
DeleteThank you Terry, and for all the follows!
ReplyDelete