With rereading the entries of this blog from the beginning came the realization that I'm rusty writing for an audience. Fashion writing is new to me and naturally a bit stiff, but when you default to discussing the weather in every post something has to improve. I used to write a lot on internet forums (which is how I met my husband, actually) but that's fallen to the wayside and I'm out of practice.
On the other hand, personal writing comes easily. I've kept steady journals since the age of six and some of my most eloquent words are between their covers, where thoughts flow (almost autonomously) to the page and the inner editor can't whip out her red pen and go nuts correcting. As a perfectionist, over-editing is far too easy on the computer. The result is tight and snappy prose with more grammar points but less heart and I'm tempted to sit down the old-fashioned way just to regain my sea-legs.
It's similar to modeling outfits. The first few minutes of a photoshoot are like the forced posture and uncomfortable smiles of school portraits. It turns out taking it too seriously leaves you a bit paralyzed. I've found that starting the session with a couple of completely off-the-wall pictures (trying to be bad rather than worrying about being bad) really loosens you up and the remainder of the time is a lot more enjoyable and natural.
Knowing my family reads this has kept me on safe topics that don't reveal anything too personal, but to be an honest and engaging writer you have to be willing to look foolish, to make mistakes. (It also turns out that perfectionists are really, really crappy at giving themselves permission to make mistakes.) So to loosen up, my next blog post will focus on writing rather than my outfit. Yes I want this to be a style blog, but a personal style blog that is about more than just the labels found in a garment.
But back to the clothes...
I've been out of school for quite some time (it's hard to believe my ten year reunion is closer than not) but something that never loses its freshness is switching it up for fall. Preppy clothes aren't exactly a staple in my closet, but this schoolgirl skirt feels perfect for the season. The front has a flat panel for a meticulous A-line and the back is sliced with gorgeous knife-pleats.
I also want to experiment more with colors this year, with an emphasis on cozy yet bright. One combination I find extra appealing is pairing earth tones with a single jewel tone, like this pumpkin-spice palette splashed with plum. It's just right for October and reminds me of the Halloween decorations I enjoyed most as a child, the playful orange and purple ones.
This beautiful cameo pendant belonged to my grandmother, who passed it on to my mother, who passed it on to me. Glass cameo isn't seen everyday (nor is squared-off cameo) and I always feel a little extra special wearing it.
What I'm Wearing
Blouse - Deb
Sweater - American Eagle
Skirt - Aeropostale
Shoes - Merona
Bag - a.n.a.
Necklace - vintage








No comments :
Post a Comment