10.27.2014

Like the light of the sun through the leaves on the trees


Finery and Madness | Autumn outfit with burnt orange lace tie-neck blouse

For day-to-day wear I definitely err on the dressier side of fashion. I find skirts more comfortable than pants and am naturally drawn to girly details - lace, ruffles, bows, all that lovely stuff that makes some women feel nauseous. Since moving to a metropolis no one really mentions it, but when I lived in a smaller city people always asked "What are you so dressed up for?" 

I wore this particular ensemble to the local Safeway to pick up some perogies and Häagen-Dazs. Why need an occasion? 

Speaking as a former supermarket employee, I loved when dressy women showed up in my department to break the monotony of day-in, day-out jeans and sneakers. I always made sure to compliment some aspect of their outfit to let them know the effort was noticed. There was one customer, well into her 70s, who always wore cat-eye frames and fantastic jewel-toned accessories (picture a chic yet bohemian art teacher). One day I told her "I really look forward to seeing you in the store - you always wear the most beautiful bright colors." Her face glowed ten different shades and she told me I'd made her week. 

Not to inflate my self importance (I know many people couldn't care less about skirts!) but I do appreciate those who make an effort on their appearance, and like to be one of them. A single person of style can bring a room, a store, or a sidewalk to life. 

Finery and Madness | Fall outfit with orange lace tie-neck blouse and cream skirt

Despite a penchant for overdressing, I do have an aversion to garments with strong structure. Blazers, button-downs, and anything meant to look "crisp" makes me stiff and self-conscious. The exception? Button-downs that stray from the Oxford norm, like this tie-neck blouse in orange lace. It's super feminine and shapeless without a hanger, which equals perfection in my book. The blouse is thrifted, the skirt was 50 cents at a garage sale, and underneath is the top worn in this post.

Now some obligatory autumn leaf-throwing photos. I know, I know, it's overdone, but as the first autumn in the life of this blog, it was necessary. Sorry.

Finery and Madness | Burnt orange blouse, holding leaves

Finery and Madness | Tossing leaves in the air

Finery and Madness | Leaves in the air, fall fashion blog staple

Finery and Madness | Lace outfit for fall with headband and plaid shoes

Finery and Madness | Multi-colored autumn leaves on the sidewalk

A few raindrops here...Vancouver in the the autumn is wet. I love the scent of a damp October, but have never had a blog to contend with before; I'm going to have to rig up an umbrella situation for the tripod.


Finery and Madness | Orange and brown plaid Mary-Jane pumps with brown knee socks

What I'm Wearing


Blouse - New York Company
Skirt - Bonjour
Belt - Kohl's
Shoes - Arizona

No comments :

Post a Comment