1.23.2015

Winter in Western Canada


Finery and Madness | plaid winter jacket, fingerless gloves, preppy skirt

Many fashion conscious folks are outspokenly against anything "matchy-matchy," striving instead for an effortless, just-thrown-together look. I'm not one of these people - I love cohesion and an overarching theme - but there is definitely more intrigue in outfits that match subtly rather than tone-for-tone. 

For example, I love colors paired on a gradient, or ones that coexist in nature. My skirt and tights remind me of the sunset, how golden rays melt right into apricot ones. Then there's the grey-green lining of my jacket - it doesn't quite match the moss colored gloves, but they're shades you'd find side-by-side in a forest (as perfectly demonstrated by my backdrop.) Filigree leaf earrings made the final touch...one of those details that would go unnoticed by most people, but adds to the theme of the outfit in a small way and makes me happy. 

Finery and Madness | Preppy winter autumn outfit in orange and plaid

Finery and Madness | Plaid coat and fingerless gloves

These beautiful fingerless gloves were a Christmas gift from my Mom. You can see another example of her talent in the poncho she knit me in this post. I offhandedly mentioned wanting a pair some time ago, and though I forgot about it she never did. Wearing knit/crochet feels so different when made by someone you know versus buying it in a store. Maybe it's because I'm a sentimental type, but they feel extra cozy and warm. 

Finery and Madness | moss green fingerless gloves

Finery and Madness | orange, green and brown plaid preppy winter outfit

Finery and Madness | plaid winter coat with faux fur hood

The shoes were also a Christmas gift, from my husband (a style I've had my eye on forever). My aesthetic is not very preppy, yet I adore pieces that give off that crisp, back-to-school vibe like these oxfords and my pleated skirt. Winter in western Canada is like a perpetual autumn so clothing like this keeps it feeling fresh rather than dreary. 

Finery and Madness | brown heeled oxfords

Finery and Madness | Orange plaid prep winter outfit

 What I'm Wearing

Coat - Hydraulic 
Skirt - Aeropostale
Purse - Cree
Shoes - American Eagle
Fingerless gloves - hand-knit by Mom

4 comments :

  1. Cute pictures

    Mel
    http://girlandthepolkadot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! These autumn colours are one of my favourite combinations. I suspect we live in the same city, or nearby to each other anyway, so I know what you mean about our winters. If we don't add colour to them, we'll perish from the darkness.

    Nice, poetic writing too

    http://www.sublimemercies.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only lived in the area about a year and a half. I moved from Michigan, where we had long winters with lots of snow. I don't miss the extreme cold, but I do miss waking up to a fresh white blanket! You are right, adding color is a necessity.

      And thanks for stopping by again, I really enjoy hearing from you.

      Delete