"I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Baghdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes. After that I liked jazz music. Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way."
~ Donald Miller
This quote sums up one of my mottoes in life: if something is uninteresting, it's simply not been seen from the right perspective. I maintain that anything could reasonably interest me if given a chance.
This also applies to fashion. My clothes fit into a few styles, usually girly-vintage or boho chic (I like my circle skirts and wooden earrings, okay?) Everyone has pieces they naturally gravitate toward. Yet when one of my feeds shows a woman looking drop-dead inspirational in a more unfamiliar style, I immediately wish those things were in my closet.
A cheetah print romper with gold jewelry? The Cali glamor thing can't be so hard to do!
Keira Knightley's casual, often-boyish look? Not into menswear, but she looks adorable.
Jeans and a tee and looking that stunning? Must be the hair. Must work on own hair game.
Sleek, minimalist white pantsuit with just a hint of sex appeal? Ugh, if only I were six feet tall.
Lately I'm loving all black - motorcycle jackets, boots, fringe bags. Check out this girl's take on a retro/rocker look and tell me you aren't inspired to dress more like an extra from Grease. My own wardrobe is lacking in the Rebel-Without-a-Cause arena but I can still play with the idea of more black for springtime (and challenge myself to make it work for hot summer weather too - maybe a sheer black tee?)
There is always room for growth in personal style, no matter how evolved it is, Sometimes in our heads we're convinced major changes are happening but in reality we're still being totally safe. One goal I have this year is to challenge myself and embody some of those looks that make me so happy to see on others.
What I'm Wearing
Jacket - Billabong
Blouse - Sirens
Skirt - Kaki Paris
Shoes - Dollhouse
Bag - Aphorism
Hat - Payless








No comments :
Post a Comment