5.25.2015

Old Friends



Some people keep the same wardrobe for twenty years. Others get bored of their clothes after a single season. I'd like to think I'm somewhere in the middle. There's no denying the turnover rate as my style evolves (and. shopping at thrift stores, it's affordable to do so) but I also love the old friends in my closet. New clothes are experiments in style - is this piece for the moment, or is it coming with me for the long haul? Old clothes have survived this experimental phase, and surviving it means that not only has the style appealed to me for years, but it is also a comfortable and well-fitting piece that I actually enjoy wearing for the 50th or 100th time.  

I purchased this dress on Ebay years ago, during a phase when my bedroom was lined with psychedelic rock albums and fake flowers in every color of the rainbow. My choice of decor has since settled into something a touch more serene, but as a somewhat materialistic person I like to keep a handful of items that remind me of each phase in life - even better if I still actively enjoy them. 


This dress is made of rayon. Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but rayon is my favorite fabric of all time. "Silk" or "cashmere" are generally the more sophisticated answers (the more dry-cleaning needed the better, or something) but if you've ever had a love affair with rayon you will understand when I say that nothing can compare. Especially during the summer months! Rayon is like wearing a river. Though rather heavy, it doesn't trap in heat and every swish of the skirt feels refreshing and cool. I want bed sheets that feel exactly like this dress. 



This bag is another old friend. The strap broke, but until it's fixed it works nicely as a clutch. I have to stop, touch, and admire every tooled leather item I run across, whether buying it or not - it's such an intriguing and elegant art. 





What I'm Wearing

Dress - Far Away
Shoes - Decree
Bag - Vintage tooled leather

2 comments :

  1. I love how vibrant the colors on the dress are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's an instant mood lifter when I wear it.

      Delete