This outfit was a lot of fun to wear. A little nautical, a little pin-up; a little vintage, a little modern. I like finding ways to femme up casual outfits with details like a nipped waist or bow. When surrounded by subtle feminine touches I carry myself differently and it's a nice feeling.
Back in high school I was kind of a tomboy - baggy jeans and oversize band tees, blissfully unaware of my body shape. Then six or seven years ago I began wearing skirts/dresses on a near daily basis. Why? Not sure, but once the baggy jeans were gone it was like something clicked and I became aware of my body shape, and started dressing for it.
These days are a complete reversal of the teenage years - I am relaxed and at home in skirts and self conscious in pants. Skirts can seem fussier on the surface but in reality they are far more forgiving when trying to mask perceived flaws. While you can look fantastic in either when properly fitted, for many women finding a great-fitting pair of jeans is the holy grail of fashion. Shopping for pants became a total chore once the shapeless/boysish silhouettes were abandoned and I gave up ever being satisfied with the fit. Skirts are easy by comparison.
Of course, with many things in life - love, happiness, or simply a great pair of jeans - they show up only once you stop searching. A few weeks ago I was on my way to the dressing room with an armload of clothes and pulled this pair of skinnies off the rack right before going in. An afterthought, really. And ta-da! Success without effort. I doubt I'll ever go back to pants as a default but it's nice to have the option.
Proper fit is slowly becoming an obsession for me and I truly believe it's worth waiting for or investing in. Being comfortable in your own skin is one of the best feelings on earth.
What I'm Wearing
Top - Monteau
Hat - ABG Accessories
Jeans - Blue Spice
Bag - Waves
Shoes - Beverly Feldman







No comments :
Post a Comment